- Your Government
- Solid Waste, Recycling, & Leaf Waste
- Leaf Waste Collection
Leaf Waste Collection
Lower Paxton Township processes leaf waste into compost at its Leaf Waste Compost Facility on Conway Road. Leaf waste does not include grass. Grass is collected with the trash. It includes:
- Bundled tree prunings
- Garden waste
- Shrub trimmings
How to Dispose
Because leaf waste is a recyclable item, it may not be put in the trash or burned. Bags or containers that have a mix of leaf waste and trash will not be collected by Waste Management, nor will they be accepted at the compost facility. Leaf waste may not be placed in plastic bags. Kraft paper bags may be used for leaf waste.
Unlimited Curbside Collection of Leaf Waste
Waste Management, as part of the solid waste and recyclables collection program, collects leaf waste at curbside (2023-24 Leaf Waste Pick-Up Calendar (PDF)). This service includes unlimited materials two times per month, April through November, and one collection in December. Christmas trees are picked up during the 2nd and 4th weeks of January. Leaf waste collection occurs on the day after trash pickup.
Residents Deliver Leaf Waste to Compost Facility
Residents who purchase a permit may deliver leaf waste to the compost facility.
- On Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays of each week from 7:30 am until 5 pm.
- The Compost Facility is open starting the first Tuesday in April until mid-December.
- Pay attention to signage when entering the Compost Facility. Signage has been placed for your safety and the safety of staff. Signs will assist you in placing materials in the proper location, reducing sorting time as we process materials.
Fall Vacuum Leaf Collection
Each autumn the Public Works Department conducts a Vacuum Leaf Collection Program.
Helpful Guidelines for Vacuum Leaf Collection
- Leaf collection is for leaves only. Do not place sticks, twigs, branches, or other yard waste materials with leaves. These materials may damage the vacuum equipment, delaying leaf collection. If leaves are mixed with other materials, they will not be collected.
- Rake leaves to within 4 feet of the curb or edge of roadway. Do not rake leaves onto the road. If leaves are raked onto road it may cause a hazard for drivers, as well as clog storm water inlets during a rain event.
- Avoid parking on the street as it causes significant delays in the collection of leaves and may even cause areas not to be collected.
- Lower Paxton Township collects leaves throughout the municipality during the fall. This service is weather and equipment dependent. The Township appreciates your patience during this program.