On a weekly basis, Waste Management will collect up to four, 36-gallon containers of solid waste, including grass clippings. Each container may not weigh more than 50 pounds when full. This service includes unlimited recyclables, unlimited leaf waste (twice a month Apr-Jan), and one bulk item per week.
Grass clippings are considered solid waste and are not leaf waste. Grass clippings may be disposed of in plastic bags, paper "kraft" bags, or loose in a can, provided they do not weigh more than 50 pounds. Containers of grass clippings are to be placed with the solid waste at the curb and are included in the four container limit.
When it is necessary to exceed the four container limit, a tag system is used. Tags may be purchased from Waste Management or at the Lower Paxton Township Municipal Center. Tags cost $6.00 each. A tag is required for each container above the four container limit.
Bulk Item Collection
Under the standard Solid Waste Collection Program, customers are permitted to place one bulk item at curbside on the day of collection.
- Bulk items include furniture, appliances, mattresses, water heaters, and carpet (one room-size per week cut to 5 feet in length, rolled and tied in bundles).
- Two individuals must be able to lift the item into a collection truck.
- To dispose of an item containing freon, such as refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, or dehumidifiers, you must contact Waste Management prior to putting the item out, since it will be collected with a special truck. These items count as one bulk item and there is no extra cost for collection.
- All doors from freezers and refrigerators must be removed prior to placing these items at curbside.
- Items not accepted as a bulk item include household hazardous waste, electronics, tires, batteries, leaf waste, and building materials.
- If you are unsure if the item you wish to dispose of is considered a bulk item, call the Township Health Office or Waste Management.
- More than one (1) bulk item per week will be collected by Waste Management for a fee of $35.00 per item.
Per Container Option
As an alternative to the standard Solid Waste Collection Program, the Township offers a Per Container Option for the collection of solid waste. This option is for households that generate one container or less of solid waste per week. A tag system is used by Waste Management to account for each container of solid waste. Waste Management and Lower Paxton Township sell tags to residents at $6.00 per container.
The Per Container Option includes the weekly collection of unlimited recyclable materials. However, bulk item collection must be purchased separately from Waste Management at $35.00 per item, and leaf waste collection requires the purchase of a "tag" at $3.00 per container.
Residents may, on an annual basis, switch service types between the standard and per container programs. To do so, notify Waste Management during the first two weeks of July. Persons moving into the Township must select either the standard or per container program, and notify Waste Management prior to the start of collection.
Residents of single family homes and multi-family homes of three units or less must participate in either the regular collection program or the pay per container program.