SOLID WASTE, RECYCLABLES, & LEAF WASTE
The Lower Paxton Township Solid Waste and Recyclable Collection Program requires all residents occupying single-family and multi-family dwellings of two and three units to do the following:
- Containers: Solid waste and recyclables must be placed in containers provided by residents. Containers must be no more than 36 gallons in capacity, watertight, have a tight cover, and have one or two handles. Containers must weigh less than 50 pounds when full. Plastic bags may be used for solid waste, but cannot be placed outside the residence until the day of collection, unless stored in metallic or plastic containers. DO NOT PUT RECYCLABLES OR LEAF WASTE IN PLASTIC BAGS. Corrugated (cardboard) boxes may not be used for solid waste or recyclables.
- Placement of Containers: Curbside pick-up requires that containers be placed at the curb by 5:30 A.M. on the collection day. Where there is no curb, place containers next to the roadway or berm.
- Collection Hours: Solid waste and recyclables will be collected on the same scheduled day between the hours of 6:00 A.M. and 5:00 P.M. Leaf waste will be collected the day after solid waste and recyclables per the schedule provided by Waste Management. On holidays and during emergencies, Waste Management and the Township Codes Enforcement Officer may schedule other hours.
- Carry-Out Service: Waste Management provides, at no additional cost, a carry-out service to residents with disabilities that preclude them from taking their solid waste, recyclables, and leaf waste to the curb. This service is available to persons who are disabled under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and who do not reside with another individual capable of transporting materials to the curb.
- Suspension of Service: Customers may suspend collection services by providing notice to Waste Management at least two weeks in advance, and the suspension period must be for at least 30 days.
- Holiday Schedule: The following is a list of holidays observed by Waste Management. If the holiday should fall on or before your weekly pickup day, your pickup will be the next day. If any of the holidays should fall on a Saturday or Sunday, the collection schedule will not be affected.
Information about the Waste Management Contract with Lower Paxton Township is available here.
Waste Management holidays are:
- New Years Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
EXAMPLE: If the holiday falls on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, Thursday's pickup will be on Friday; if the holiday is on Friday, then Thursday's collection is not affected.
Contact the Community Development Department at 717- 657-5600 or Waste Management at 800-634-4595 with questions about solid waste and recycling.