Resident Package

The following items provide residents with some of the most commonly encountered Township ordinances, procedures and services.  These items are organized by area of operation.

Board of Supervisors

Community Development Department

  • Always check with the Community Development Department prior to beginning any construction activity.
  • A Zoning Permit is required for most lot development activities.
  • A Building Permit is required for most construction activities.
  • A Stormwater Management Permit may be required for lot development activities.
  • The Township has adopted the Pennsylvania Uniform Construction Code (PA UCC).
  • The PA UCC requires fire suppression (sprinkler) systems for certain types of construction.
  • Residents are reminded to install mailboxes in accordance with requirements of the US Postal Service.

Police Department

  • The Township enforces a curfew on persons under the age of eighteen, unless they are accompanied by their parents or a responsible adult designated by their parents.
  • Dog licenses are required by Dauphin County and are sold at various government and business locations.  It is illegal for individuals to have an unlicensed dog that is three months old or older.
  • All dogs three years old or older must possess a current rabies vaccination.
  • All bicycles must be registered with the Township.  Registration is from Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.  The cost of a registration license is $2.00.
  • The Police Department will perform "house checks" for residents who are on vacation. You can arrange for this service by calling 657-5656, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.  Please call at least one day prior to leaving.  The maximum length of time for this service is 60 days.
  • Persons needing the assistance of a Police Officer should call the Dauphin County Dispatch Center at the following phone numbers:  Non-Emergency calls - 558-6900, Emergency Calls - 911.
  • Persons needing the assistance of the Township Fire Marshall should call the Police Department Office at 657-5656. To report a fire call 911.
  • Any questions regarding Community Policing programs and activities should be directed to Officer Ralph Palm at 657-5656.

Health Office

  • Waste Management is the authorized residential solid and recyclables collector within the Township.  Arrangements for service may be made directly through Waste Management.  For more information call Waste Management at 232-0878.
  • Waste Management observes six holidays (New Year's Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day).  When a holiday falls on or proceeds the scheduled weekly pick-up, trash and recyclables pick-up will be on the next day.
  • Recycling stickers for collection containers may be obtained at the Township Municipal Center.
  • The Health Office is responsible for enforcement of ordinances relating to property maintenance, on-lot sanitary sewer facilities, and littering.
  • Domestic animals are not permitted to run loose within the Township.  Residents are required to clean-up the waste from their pet.
  • The Township's Property Maintenance Code requires that residents cut their grass when it exceeds 10 inches in length.
  • Inflatable pools that hold more than 24 inches of water require a code compliant barrier surrounding the perimeter of the pool.

Leaf Waste Program

  • The Leaf Waste Collection Program includes unlimited curbside pickup by Waste Management two times a month, April through November, one pickup in December, and the removal of Christmas trees in January.
  • Leaf waste includes leaves, bundled tree pruning, and garden waste. Leaf waste does not include grass clippings, which are collected by Waste Management on a weekly basis with trash as part of the four container limit.
  • The Township's leaf waste Compost Facility is located on Conway Road. Residents who purchase a permit may deliver leaves, tree trimmings, and garden wastes to the compost facility on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.  Leaf waste must be deposited loose or in "kraft" recyclable bags. Permits are available at the Municipal Center and at Hornung's Hardware Store.
  • The Township accepts natural Christmas trees for recycling at two drop-off sites - Koons Park and the Public Works Building.  Christmas trees may be dropped off during the first three weeks of January each year.  Trees must be free of all decorations.

Parks and Recreation Department

  • The Parks and Recreation Department operates the Friendship Center located at 5000 Commons Drive.
  • Township park facilities may be reserved, upon application and for a small fee, by calling the Parks and Recreation Department at 657-5635.
  • The Township does not operate any outdoor swimming pools.  However, there are two private community pools in the Township; Devon Manor Swim Club and Penn Colonial Swim Club. There is also one public community pool; Koons Pool.
  • The Township assists in the operation of a Senior Center at the Friendship Center.  The senior citizens center is open 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, and is free of charge to all participating seniors.
  • The Township assists in the operation of a senior citizen transportation service.  For more information, please call 657-5650.
  • Parks and Recreation Department programs follow the winter cancellation policies of the Central Dauphin School District.

Public Works Department

  • The Township is divided into areas for snow removal purposes.  Within each area the primary responsibility is snow removal and application of anti-skid material on various state routes and Township collector roads.  The second responsibility is to maintain through Township streets within residential neighborhoods.  Cul-de-sacs, dead-ends, and alleys are the last roadways in the winter maintenance hierarchy.
  • The Township Public Works Department maintains over 200 miles of local roadways and 17 miles of state routes, totaling nearly 400 lane miles, during winter storm events.
  • Street sweeping begins as soon as weather permits in the spring and continues throughout the summer months.
  • Fall vacuum leaf collection begins in autumn, as weather permits, and continues until vacuum collection has been completed on all Township streets.  Leaves in "kraft bags" may be taken to the Township's leaf waste compost facility.
  • Property owners are responsible for the maintenance and repair of the curb and sidewalk in the public right-of-way abutting their property.
  • Residents are reminded that basketball backboards, landscape and construction materials, and piles of mulch must not be placed on Township roads because they are a safety hazard to the motoring public and an obstacle to maintenance operations.
  • The Township's policy on mailboxes damaged during Public Works operations provides a maximum of $100 for repair or replacement when a mailbox is struck by a Township or subcontractor truck, snow plow, or other equipment. The Township is not responsible for the repair or replacement of a mailbox damaged by snow pushed to the edge of the road by a snow plow.

Sanitary Sewer Department

  • During heavy rainfalls and high groundwater conditions the Township’s sanitary sewers experience infiltration and inflow of clear water.  This has resulted in restrictions on the issuance of building permits in the Beaver Creek and Paxton Creek sanitary sewer drainage basins.
  • The Sanitary Sewer Department will replace broken sewer clean-out caps, free of charge, if the cap was initially installed by the Township.  If the cap was installed by the property owner, then replacement is the owner's responsibility.
  • Residents who experience a sewer line blockage should call the Sewer Department at 657-5617 before they call a plumber.  The Department will check to insure that the blockage is not located within the public system.
  • Sanitary sewer quarterly bills may be paid by direct debit to your bank account.  For more information contact the Department at 657-5617.
  • The current sanitary sewer rental fee (bill) is $153 per calendar quarter for each dwelling unit.  Non-residential uses are billed based upon flow to the sewer system calculated on an equivalent dwelling unit basis.

Frequently Called Numbers

Main Switchboard
Police Administration
Public Works Department - Jeff Kline
Sewer Department - William Weaver
Parks and Recreation - Terry Bauknight
Supervisor's Voice-Mail
Communications Department - Leigh Ann M. Urban

Office Hours

Municipal Center (Administration, Community Development, & Sewer)
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Police Department Records Office
8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Public Works Department
6:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

Sanitary Sewer Operations
6:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

Friendship Center and the Parks and Recreation Department
Monday to Thursday -  5:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Friday - 5:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Saturday - 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Sunday - 12:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Social Media