Stormwater Tips

Notice from the Public Works Department

Wet Weather Recommendations

Lower Paxton Township's storm water facilities include over 5,000 storm water drains and over 150 miles of storm sewers.  In preparation for wet weather:

  • Pay attention to local weather forecasts and plan accordingly for rain events. 
  • Clear roof downspouts and gutters of debris.
  • If there is a storm drain near your home, be sure the grate is free of debris.  Small amounts of debris can cause significant water backups.
  • If there is a stream that runs across your property, keep the channel free of debris.   The Township is not responsible for stream flooding.
  • Do not put leaf waste, grass, or construction debris in swales or channels that carry storm water.   Debris will obstruct the stream and raise water level.  Debris may also float downstream and block pipes, causing flooding.
  • Do not rake or place bundled yard waste in the street.  Such items can restrict water flow along the curb or edge of roadway and block storm drains and swales.
  • If you have a basement sump pump, periodically check the float and electrical connections.  Consider a battery backup unit in case of power failure.
  • If you have a wet basement and do not have a sump pump, install one.  Do not discharge sump pump water to the street.

Frequently asked questions about storm water.

QUESTION: Can I install a drain or inlet in the street in front of my home?
ANSWER: No. If you have a storm water or drainage concern contact the Public Works Department. A Department representative will perform a site visit. In many cases there are other factors that are contributing to a storm water problem that are not resolved by a drain or inlet..

QUESTION: What can I do with runoff from my neighbor’s downspouts that are affecting my property?
ANSWER: On site drainage between two property owners is generally a civil issue that cannot be addressed by the Township.

QUESTION: Can the Public Works Department clean a stream that crosses my property?
ANSWER: Maintenance of a stream or waterway is a property owner’s responsibility. The Public Works Department is only responsible for stream cross pipes that convey water under a public street.

QUESTION: I have water coming through the walls of my home into my basement during heavy rain storms. Can the Public Works Department help me with this problem?
ANSWER: The Public Works Department cannot control ground water and is not permitted to work on private property or structures.

PENN STATE EXTENSION: Homeowner's Guide to Stormwater

The PA Public Utility Commission (PUC) provides the following tips to deal with utilities issues for individuals experiencing flooding.

Downed power lines:

  • Don’t touch or get near any fallen lines.
  • Stay away from objects or puddles in contact with downed power lines.
  • Notify the utility company.
  • Never try to remove trees or limbs from power lines.

Flooding and electric power:

  • Avoid downed utility lines and standing water because “hot wires” could exist below the water line.
  • If your home has sustained flood or water damage, and you can safely get to the main breaker or fuse box, turn off the power.
  • Do not turn off the power if you are wet or standing in water.
  • If electrical service has not been disconnected at the home, avoid standing water, again there may be some live wires below the water line.
  • Submerged fuse boxes and their contents should be replaced.
  • It is best to have your electric system inspected by a licensed electrician before turning it back on.

Flooding and natural gas safety:

  • If your house has flooded and your natural gas appliances (including furnaces, boilers, water heaters and dryers) have been affected, they may not be safe to use. Contact a licensed gas technician or HVAC contractor for an inspection. 
  • If you smell gas, or if flood waters have risen above your gas meter and regulator set, call 911 or your gas company immediately.

Frequently Called Numbers

Main Switchboard
Police Administration
Public Works Department - Jeff Kline
Sewer Department - William Weaver
Parks and Recreation - Terry Bauknight
Supervisor's Voice-Mail
Communications Department - Leigh Ann M. Urban

Office Hours

Municipal Center (Administration, Community Development, & Sewer)
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Police Department Records Office
8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Public Works Department
6:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

Sanitary Sewer Operations
6:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

Friendship Center and the Parks and Recreation Department
Monday to Thursday -  5:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Friday - 5:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Saturday - 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Sunday - 12:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Social Media