Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

(This page is under construction... and is being updated regularly)

What is a plot plan?
A hand drawn diagram of your property that shows the street, driveway, all structures, any proposed structures and distances to the property lines (include size of property).
If you have questions about how to draw a plot plan, check out google and search "image of how to draw a plot plan". There are many examples available.

What is a setback?
A setback is the distance from your home or your shed or the added structure to your property lines on each side. 

Do I need a permit to install a fence?
A Zoning Permit is required. You must attach a plot plan to the permit showing where you plan to install the fence, including the typce of fence (privacy/open picket), and the height.
It is suggested that in order to maintain the fence, you allow ample room (1 - 2 ft) from your property line.
If you have questions about how to draw a plot plan, check out google and search "image of how to draw a plot plan". There are many examples available. 

I want to put a pool in my yard. Does it require a permit?
If it is over 24" high, then yes.  Zoning, Stormwater (if it's over 80 sq ft) and Building Permits are required. (Swimming Pool Checklist)
A plot plan is required showing the exact location of the pool with footage. 

Can I raise chickens? 
Pigeons, chickens and ducks can't be kept on a lot less than 1 acre. (See 402.a.28)

How do I know where my property line is?
A great starting point is to check out the Dauphin County Recorder of Deeds site.  You can also look up your pacel on the GIS Map.

Do I need a permit to add a shed on my property?
Yes. You need a zoning permit and stormwater permit (and a plot plan) if the structure is under 1000 sq feet.
If the structure is over 1,000 sq feet you will also need a building permit.
The rear and sides of the shed should be a minimum of 5 feet from the property line.


Do I need a permit to build a deck on the back of my house?
A Zoning & Stormwater permit are required. If a deck is more than 30 inches off grade, then a Building Permit is required as well. A plot plan is required with the submission. 
Deck Construction Guide

What are the smoke detector requirements in LPT?
All residential dwellings are required to have hard wired smoke detectors outside of all sleeping areas and battery operated smoke detectors on each level that there is not a hard wired detector.
If selling your home, it is a requirement that realtors complete the certification form at the time of settlement.

How often does street sweeping occur in Lower Paxton Township?
Street sweeping begins in April of each year and is completed in July depending on the weather. Street sweeping is necessary to pick up contaminants from the roadway and prevent stones, dirt, and other debris from collecting in storm sewers and drainage swales along the roadway.
The Public Works Department does not possess a specific schedule for street sweeping.
Street sweepers are also used to collect leaves in the early fall



Where do I go to vote?
Please note, you must be registered to vote in the State of Pennsylvania. Upon registering, you will receive your voter registration card and it will list your voting precinct. 
A map of the voting precincts in Lower Paxton is located here

Where do I get a carry permit? Renew a carry permit?
Stop by, fill out an application. Bring your PA Drivers License with your current address and a second form of ID. No personal checks. $6 cash application fee & $14 balance when you pick up completed permit.

Dauphin County Courthouse, Front & Market Streets, 1st Floor, Harrisburg, PA 17108, Monday thru Friday 8 am to 4 pm
DJ Wenner's Office, Lower Paxton Township Field Office, 5925 Stevenson Ave, Suite B, Harrisburg, PA 17112, Monday & Wednesday Only 5 pm to 7 pm

Where do I pay my Income Taxes?
Keystone Collections Group
2330 Vartan Way, Suite 155
Harrisburg PA
Monday - Friday, 8 am to 4 pm

Frequently Called Numbers

Main Switchboard
Police Administration
Public Works Department - Jeff Kline
Sewer Department - William Weaver
Parks and Recreation - Terry Bauknight
Supervisor's Voice-Mail
Communications Department - Leigh Ann M. Urban

Office Hours

Municipal Center (Administration, Community Development, & Sewer)
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Police Department Records Office
8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Public Works Department
6:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

Sanitary Sewer Operations
6:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

Friendship Center and the Parks and Recreation Department
Monday to Thursday -  5:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Friday - 5:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Saturday - 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Sunday - 12:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Social Media